Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Whew~I feel like I've run a marathon. I think I know where we are going now and how soon...but sit back and let me tell you the tale of my last 36 hours.

We were late leaving for U of Iowa. I was stupidly thinking that since it takes 45 minutes to get there, if we left at 8 for a 9am appointment we'd be fine. Sure, sure, to any ordinary person that would be plenty of time, but not my family! We left on time barely. I was pretty nervous since AF still wasn't here. I'm not normally nervous. I'm the calm one in my family. I keep us on time and where we need to be. Being nervous there us off.

We dropped Boo off at the sitter and I insisted on stopping for my usual 24oz hot green tea with 1/2 the normal amount of honey. We had to go through McD's for DH too (he doesn't eat healthy...LOL)

We got to the hospital about 10 minutes late and hurried to the 4th floor. Of course when we got there they told us our letter was wrong and we were supposed to be on the 2nd floor...so we arrived finally at 9:15 or so.

It was a long day. I was told not to worry about AF not showing (whew!). We gave health histories, got all the info for the basic IVF as well as the study. I had an internal ultrasound. They counted 9 antral follicles. They like to see 10 :( Amazingly my BP was 103/71!

We had some wait time. By this time it was 11:30 or so. Our nurse for the day told us that we should have DH give his sample and go get something to eat. We were to be back by 12:45 and then we'd do blood draws, see the doc and be done.

Now, if you've ever been to the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, you know that it's a maze. There are literally 8 different banks of elevators that take you to different parts of the hospital. They gave us a MAP to the IVF lab. We found it and got our "instructions" from a beautiful lab tech who wouldn't look DH in the eye! She gave us our insulated bag, instructions and the keypad to the "collection room"! It was on a different floor in a completely different area! It's like we were spies or something...secret key pads, quiet room with a recliner, tv, accoutrements (cough cough) and bathroom complete with shower! There were strict instructions to cover the recliner with a sheet if we used it....ummm...ick! Then we had to pack the sample up in the insulated bag and take it back. By this time it was noon. When we got back to the lab, they told us the IVF clinic had called and to go directly back.

My heart of course skipped a beat. We hadn't been given the official go ahead yet for the trail and I figured they wanted us back to tell us we were out. I swear it was like a rollercoaster all day. Of course, they called us back to meet with the doctor so we could be finished earlier. The financial person came to talk to us too. She's my new friend! She told us many loopholes that we didn't know about our coverage...including that it's 15,000 PER PERSON! Mr's things don't count towards my 15,000! Also, what they cut the check for is what counts towards the total, not what WE would be billed. This is a load off in case the trial doesn't work!

Our doctor was not very enthusiastic about our chances with the trial. He explained that their projected success rates are not as high as regular IVF, but we already knew that. He said it was up to us what we do. We had already decided to go for the trial unless they tell us we can't.

Then it was time to disrobe and be probed! Full physical exam, pelvic and pap, cervical cultures and uterine sounding. It's a bit disconcerting for you hubby to hear the doc say "it opened right up, I wish all cervixes behaved that way!"

Mr. finally out and out asked if we were in the trial or not. We were told that after my FSH levels came back they would tell us for sure. Nothing like a little suspense huh?

Then it was my favorite part of the day (NOT) Blood draw time. Not a good experience. You'd think that the nurses there would be able to handle it. She was nice, but damn that hurt!

We finally got out of there, starving by now...at 2:15. By the time we got to the car and drove around aimlessly for a while (we were so hungry that neither of us could decide WHERE to eat!) we finally had food in front of us by 3:10.

We ate, shopped at bit at Pioneer Co-op and drove home. We had to get Boo from our friend's and finally got home at 7pm! LONG LONG DAY!

I thought the ride was over and we were fine...and then got a call today. My HCG levels came back at 11. Not negative, but not viable for day 33. I am to repeat them tomorrow. She called at 2:30. AF showed while I was at the gym at 5:30! Good God is this every going to end?

Tune in tomorrow for more.....


DD said...

Wow, I wasn't expecting that last paragraph. When I first read it I thought you meant FSH was 11 (I hope not!). I also hope that you are able to get in the trial. It would be an excellent opportunity for you.

littleangelkisses said...

DD, nope, HCG 11...ugh!

The Town Criers said...

Wow...shit. I read it the same way the first time through the sentence and then had to back up and say, "wait, hcG and not FSH." I'm so sorry, sweetie.

When do you get the FSH results and know whether you're in? I thought they were going to tell you in the office. Sending good thoughts.