Sunday, July 15, 2007

Hello again, hello

It's been a while and while not a lot has changed, it's time for an update, don't you think?

Since my last post, AF has come and gone twice. After her arrival June 5th, I called our RE's office. The nurse let me know that I could come to an IVF information meeting the next day. I couldn't go of course as it was two days before the end of the school year and I had a field trip to be in charge of. So she told me that I could pick up an IVF packet after school. She also mentioned a clinical trial but told me that she didn't think I'd qualify because I'm 35.

I picked up the packet that evening and immediately tried to read everything. In the packet was a copy of the letter she had received about the trial. I decided to call and just see if we could qualify.

The research coordinator called us back and explained the study. It's a study for Oocyte Cryopreservation. She gave me lots of information. I asked if we'd even qualify. She said that according to the paperwork as long as I'm 35, I qualify. I told her that my birthday is September 19th and she was okay with that. I sent our records. A few days later she called back and said that things look good but that theya re waiting for the medium for cryopreservation to be approved/manufactured and that if there was a problem I'd hear from her but that if I didn't, we were fine and they'd call with more info later.

I got a call from our RE's office about two weeks later asking for the date of my last AF. They called back twice to get the information. The second time they called, I was home. They said that they needed the info for the clinical trial as soon as they could. I took this as positive.

Then I didn't hear from anyone for a few weeks and AF came around again. Monday I called the research coordinator and left a message. I sure don't want to bug her, but time is running out if we are going to do the trial. I also don't want to be wasting all of this time if we won't be able to do it...KWIM? She called back the next day with news. Now, it's not bad news so I'm saying that it's good, sort of.

Michelle (the RC) said that they medium had been approved and is being manufactured. She has a call in to the company to see how long before they have it there. She is also checking on what has to be done for me to be able to participate. She looked up my birthdate and has a call in to see if I have to have the eggs retrieved by my birthday or if I just have to have consent signed and blood work done by then.

While we are still in limbo, I feel like I have someone in my corner. She seems to want us to participate. I want us to...this trial is about preserving women's eggs for future use. It would be free for us...and I won't deny that this is my main motivation to participate. BUT I do think that this could be really important to women in the future.

More on this later (a sooner later than last time, I swear!)


1 comment:

LJ said...

Welcome back! How cool that things are progressing with the trial. I hope it all starts moving along quickly for you...